Add another point to the long list of Gianni Infantino’s post-World Cup controversies.
FIFA’s chief operating officer Kevin Lamour has been fired after publicly chastising the organization’s president, Sky Sports reports. The governing body confirmed his departure in a statement on Monday.
“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026,” a spokesperson said. “FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.”
UEFA’s deputy general secretary Kevin Lamour, center, and UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin, right, look on prior to the start of a Group F match between Turkey and Georgia at the Euro 2024 soccer tournament in Dortmund, Germany, Tuesday, June 18, 2024. AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino
In a letter to FIFA staff, Mattias Grafstrom, FIFA’s secretary general, said the decision “was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally.”
“I felt it was important that I personally provide you this update and I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of FIFA on a daily basis,” the letter read. “I wish Kevin all the best for the future.”
Last month, Lamour criticized Infantino’s wildly unpopular plan to privatize the World Cup in a private equity investment scheme. The plan, which would’ve created a $20 billion subsidiary to run the tournament, was heavily opposed by the global soccer community and led to over half of FIFA’s 211 member nations coming out against the idea.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino attends the inauguration of Abelardo De La Espriella as Colombia’s president on Friday, August 7, 2026, in Cali, Colombia. REUTERS
Lamour had been a colleague of Infantino’s dating back to 2007, as the pair worked together as executives at UEFA before making the jump to the global governing body.
“Our mission … is to serve football. Not to serve the personal interests of a person who, unfortunately, believes he embodies FIFA when he is supposed to be at its service,” Lamour said in a statement in July.
“If that means I lose my job, then so be it. I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”
That appeared to be a step too far for Infantino, who himself has come under fire for personal conduct recently. The embattled FIFA boss allegedly had a relationship with a junior employee when he was secretary general at UEFA. Infantino reportedly promoted the woman, and she was paid off when the relationship ended.
Kevin Lamour, UEFA Deputy General Secretary, looks on prior to the UEFA Europa League 2022/23 Group Stage Draw on Friday, August 26, 2022, in Istanbul, Turkey. UEFA via Getty Images
Just days before that report became public, The Post reported that Infantino had begged the Trump administration to help him keep his job.
The soccer exec sought to meet with Secretary of State Marco Rubio as he clamored for support with member nations calling for his resignation.
“He wanted to get online with the secretary and talk about how soccer can be a form of soft power for America,” an insider told The Post. “But we all know that it is about job protection. It is not about anything else at this point.”
The scheme — which involved a firm run by Josh Kushner, the new Lakers owner whose brother Jared is President Trump’s son-in-law and an advisor in the administration — would have raised $4.2 billion through a subsidiary called the FIFA Forward Enterprise based on an equity valuation of $20 billion.
Argentina forward Lionel Messi shakes hands with FIFA President Gianni Infantino and President Donald Trump following Argentina’s loss to Spain during the FIFA World Cup 2026 final at New York New Jersey Stadium on Tuesday, July 21, 2026, in East Rutherford, NJ. USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect
Norway’s soccer federation formally called for Infantino’s resignation, while the European governing body threatened a boycott of the World Cup and other FIFA competitions if the plan was approved. The North American and Asian federations also came out against the plan, and it was quickly axed following the backlash.
In a meeting held in Morocco earlier this month, FIFA reaffirmed its support for Infantino — up for reelection as president this coming March — while acknowledging “mistakes” made in the private equity proposal. Lamour was reportedly not at the meeting.